Friday 13 June 2008

a more confident me

A fact about me: I am not that confident. Its a well known fact, one that burdens me with my day to day lifestyle. I've taken a step back recently and took in the big picture and taken a closer look on how to improve myself, as I seem to be in a ditch after bad things happening recently, and the only way out is to improve.

When looking at myself, I notice my conversational skills are not what they should be. This is because whilst other teens and younglings were practicing all their convo skills, I was stuck indoors for most of my childhood, mostly listening to Beatles and messing about with computer games, all due to moving house when I was about 10. Not knowing anyone and not getting out as much as our previous home due to living on a main road, meant I was indoors for quite a while. It wasn't until I was 16 and starting high school that I started leaving the house and venturing off with friends from school.

The lack of progress in being able to converse sticks with me to this day. Whilst I have improved, I still lack the ability to maintain a conversation for a length of time. I always walk away instead of carrying on the small talk with work mates. I hardly ever go over to people and start a chat, its most of the time them that come to me. It frustrates me a lot. Like for instance, when I was on lunch the other day with someone who i hadn't really spoke to, I found it hard to speak to them, so I didn't I just sat there reading, I got frustrated. don't ask why, because I don't know.

Starting from today, I am going to set out to take baby steps to improve my social skills. I'm actually going to interact and from trying to I will bit by bit get better. Tonight is a gig, a big one with plenty of people. Taking it one step at a time, I'm going to try and get involved in conversations, listen and give input thats funny and serious. Wish me luck. Any advice or comments will be much appreciated.

1 comment:

Marshall Family said...

I guess its easier for women to chat as we can compliment each others footwear, hairstyle or something to start a convo off etc.

Just be relaxed, if you want to say something say it :) as long as its not perverted or offensive you'll be okay :)

Have fun tonight. if you take ur camera, you could alwaasys offer to take ppls pics and tag them on FB etc :o) xx